Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Today is Manolis' 1st Father's Day with Maria (last year he was still in Crete trying to get over here). Maria gave him 3 months of the beer of the month club, he was excited! We spent the day with some friends of his from Crete. When they met Maria, of course they fell in love, and the woman whose house we went to gave Maria a prayer bracelet, pin with a saint on it, picture of a saint, framed picture (icon) of Mary and baby Jesus, holy water, and holy oil. It was very sweet and rather cute. She just kept going back to the bedroom and getting more and more things for Maria. I told Manoli it's his job to take care of the holy water and oil.

Well it finally happened - Maria had her first fall. We put her on a reclined recliner. I wasn't watching, and the next thing I knew, I heard a clunk and there she was on the floor (tile floor of course). So I yelled "shit" in front of 4 old people and my hubby before running over and grabbing her. She seemed a little shocked, but not hurt. She didn't cry or utter so much as a peep. I don't know which bothered me more - that she fell on a tile floor or that she didn't cry... So I held her very tight for at least an hour before I would let anyone else come near her. I called the Blue Cross nurse when we got home, and we need to watch for vomiting, seizures, changes in vision or movement, pain -- pretty much the same types of things as for shunt failure... I couldn't feel any bumps, but I think I might see a little red spot in the top center of her forehead. And now we're playing our too familiar game of it's 10pm and Maria still isn't asleep and is fighting it for all she's worth. I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

And finally, I swear my mom is visiting us lately. The other day the water cooler shook 2 times and my cats weren't anywhere near it. It's been bubbling a lot more than usual (big air pockets bubble up into the jug), and today Manoli saw that one of the wooden plugs in the crock holder was out and on the floor. I think she's come to visit for Maria's birthday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home