Friday, June 02, 2006

1st Dentist

Yesterday Maria went to the dentist for the first time. He was nice, young, and cute -- best kind of dentist, right? He said her teeth look good and clean and we're doing a good job. That was good to hear because I thought her teeth were looking a little yellow. Sue brushes her teeth every day (of course), but I've been sloppy about it in the evenings because she's often asleep by the time I put her to bed. The dentist said it's very important to brush in the evenings because the milk sugars are damaging to those young teeth. He showed me a good way to do it, which I can do even if she's asleep -- I put her head on my lap with her feet facing out. That way I can use both hands to open her mouth, move her lips, and brush. Usually I do it with her sitting, so I'm holding her up with one hand and bushing with the other. This has only been semi-successful.

Next week my sis is taking off more time from work to come to boiling hot Phoenix (supposed to be about 112 this weekend - it really does feel hot above 110...). We're going to tackle our health insurance bs. I'm still trying to fight some bills from more than a year ago and after many phone calls and a few letters, I've let it drop because I only have so much time and energy. One thing I heard consistently from the moms at the Hydro Conference is to appeal, appeal, appeal. Write letters, be relentless, don't give up. Sample letters are available to help with the proper wording -- use the insurance companies' own language, for example. So we're thinking of spending a couple days at one of the local resorts, which are much cheaper in the summer to local residents, to relax, write letters, get organized, and take Maria swimming.

Speaking of swimming - the people who took care of Maria when I was gone gave me the cutest pictures of Maria on a floating mat in the pool, wearing a hat and sunglasses, just laying back, looking totally relaxed. That's my spa-girl! (doesn't even look like she misses me...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home