Thursday, July 28, 2005

Baby is a rollin' stone

The thing about babies, particularly babies who are taking their time in terms of development, is you need to be careful not to consider every random muscle spasm to be some kind of developmental milestone. When something happens, it needs to happen several times consistently before it's worth getting excited about.

Today was one of my days to take care of Maria. About ten minutes before Cathy was going to get home from work I had Maria on her tummy on the floor. I went to check on the bottle that was heating and when I turned around, Maria was on her back. Huh? So I put her onto her tummy again, and she promptly pushed over onto her back. Cathy walked in the door and (after checking with her that this hadn't been happening all week) I put Maria on her tummy again. I was afraid she might freeze with Mommy watching, but like a pro she turned over onto her back. She did it a bunch more times this evening since none of us (including Manolis of course) ever got sick of it.

My theory is that she's been saving it all up for Papa. She's such a kind daughter that she thought he shouldn't miss out on all these special moments. So maybe she's going to catch up on several months of development in a few weeks ;)

She also took 6 ounces from the bottle for me...twice. Although I believe she's taken as much as nine for Cathy in one sitting, she hasn't taken more than three from me since she stopped drinking months ago. Then again, the gastroenterologist says this couldn't possibly be happening and I'm sure that someone who sees her for five minutes every three months is MUCH better qualified to judge than we are *roll eyes*, so I must have imagined the whole thing.

Maria sure is talented. She sees well for someone who's totally blind, has fantastic hearing for someone who's completely deaf, and drinks a lot for someone who doesn't drink at all. I just don't know what we dumb laymen would do without these doctors telling us all the stuff that's wrong with her.

OK, I've filled my sarcasm quota for the day.

The speech therapist told us today she isn't even going to work on bottle feeding anymore since Maria doesn't need it. She's going to work on body positioning and, well, speech.

All in all, a very good Maria day.

Oh, and I have video of the landmark rolling over which I'll try to post this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home